From a young writer to young writers...everywhere.

Sunday 14 October 2012

NaNoWriMo

If you've been in the writing community for only a short amount of time, odds are you've heard about NaNoWriMo. You may have even done it before. You may think we're crazy for even attempting it. Whatever your feelings on NaNo, I wanted to make a post about it.

This will be my first year. I'm fifteen and I recently completed the first draft of HOPING FOR RAIN, a YA contemporary novel. I'm confident and excited and scared to freaking death. I hope that's a good thing.

So here is a list. I like lists.

What NaNoWriMo is for:
- Killing your Inner Editor...that jerk who deserves to die until we're ready to consult him. Then he can be raised from the dead, I promise.
- Writing to a deadline, because God knows us writers suck at them sometimes (I'm looking at you, Twitter! Also Tumblr)
- Working within a community. Already, half a month before November, I've become part of an amazing community. Just knowing that so many others are writing with you is an incredible motivation.
- Quantity over quality. NaNoWriMo gives you a chance to suck. You can't edit (or you shouldn't, anyway), which leaves room to just write write write! Your first draft is going to suck, let's face it, but that's what NaNoWriMo encourages. I find that strangely liberating.

What NaNoWriMo is NOT for:
- Producing a crappy first draft every year and then never looking at it again.
- Editing
- Going in blind, without even an idea of what you're going to write about.
- Listening to that asshat, the Inner Editor

 Just remember that once November ends, you're not finished. A first draft is like the first coat of paint on a canvas, or any other really bad metaphors. Grab a writing buddy or a CP and, when the month is up, tear it to shreds. Watch as a whole different story emerges. And you'll thank yourself.

 So who's with me? Who's decided to be a crazy person and take on the challenge that is NaNo?

Comment below with your NaNo stories :) I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment